Our attorneys and staff live and work in Maricopa County. As citizens of the County we serve, we prioritize responding to our community’s needs. We do this through organized participation in community events and through our own workers’ independent involvement in their local communities.
Please follow our Facebook page to find more information on local resources and our community outreach programs. Public Defender on Facebook
Our department, along with the Office of Public Defense Services (OPDS), the Office of the Legal Defender, Office of the Legal Advocate, and Office of the Public Advocate may be available to assist with outreach efforts. If you’d like to request a speaker, please fill out the Community Outreach Request Form and allow at least four weeks’ notice before the event.
Throughout the year we participate in a number of Veteran’s StandDown events, offering free legal aid and assistance to military veterans who are engaged in the criminal justice process. During these events we represent veteran clients in their matters, help fill out legal paperwork, provide legal advice to them, and refer them to other resources available at the event and in the community. In 2018 alone, 895 veterans registered and received legal services at the event.
2023 Maricopa County Veteran's StandDown
Veterans Memorial Coliseum - Exhibition Hall & Wesley Bolin building
at the Arizona State Fairgrounds
1826 W. McDowell Road, Phx
Friday, April 28th, 2023
Doors open for registration at 7:00 AM and services end at 4:00pm
NOTE: Courts and other services open on: TBD
In partnership with the Office of Public Defense Services, we offer a number of restoration of rights and set aside events throughout the year to assist those who have past criminal convictions fill out the appropriate legal documents to try to get their right to vote, right to serve on a jury, right to hold public office of trust or profit, and right to possess a gun restored. To see the Restoration of Rights informational flyer - please click here. For documents to start the process - please visit the Restoration of Rights page or e-mail us.
Read our Restoration of Rights FAQs
Our office is committed to serving our surrounding community—to this end we have created the Service Committee, which organizes monthly volunteer activities for employees and their families to participate in. In the past year, we have:
- Donated a truck load of books to Perryville Women’s Prisons in our first annual Prison Book Drive
- Created an office team for the National Alliance on Mental Illness Walks and raised $500 for the organization
- Donated two carloads of items including gift cards, stuffed animals, toys, games, home décor, jewelry, clothing, kitchen items, blankets, and backpacks to Dunbar Elementary School for their Holiday Drive
- Taught children about logic using board games and crafts at the Arizona statewide SciTech Festival at the Bret Tarver Learning Center in Phoenix
- Volunteered at our local St. Vincent de Paul in Phoenix, spending time packing lunches and writing positive messages on water to be delivered by those served by the Hearts & Hands program