At MCACC, we recognize that giving up a family pet is never an easy decision, but we know that sometimes it may feel like you have no other option. Since our primary mission is to serve the lost and homeless pets of Maricopa County, we allow residents of the county to surrender their pets to the shelter by appointment only. Appointment availability is determined by several factors including existing kennel space and other special circumstances. Right now, we allow for two appointments per day, 5 days a week between Tuesday and Saturday. Please Note: A separate appointment is required for each individual animal.
To better help you during this difficult time, we have compiled a comprehensive list of resources and available alternatives to surrendering your pet to MCACC. Before scheduling an appointment with us, please review the options available for Rehoming & Surrender Resources to determine the best choice for your situation. You can also find additional resources that may help with keeping your pet here. In partnership with the top animal welfare organizations in the Valley, MCACC has joined Pet Housing Help AZ to provide information and resources for struggling pet owners impacted by housing insecurity. For additional information, please visit Pet Housing Help AZ.
Overview of Owner Surrender Process
Surrendering a pet is a difficult decision. We want to help you through the process to ensure you are making the best decision for you and your situation. In the steps below, we have outlined the process for you to follow when considering surrendering your pet to MCACC.
- Review available options and resources listed on this page
- Pursue alternatives that work for your situation
- If you decide to surrender with us, review surrender fees below
- Schedule an appointment and complete surrender form online
- You may be contacted by MCACC for more information (if needed)
- Attend appointment with ID and payment ready to surrender your pet
Note: We do not accept owned, stray, or community cats. For assistance with owned and/or stray cats, please contact the rescues below or refer to resources listed on the Rehoming & Surrender Resources page. Click here for additional information on Community Cats.
|Cat's World Rescue|
|Hope for Cats|
|Cool Cats Rescue|
If after reviewing the alternative resources, you determine that surrendering your pet to MCACC is the best decision for you, there is a $75 surrender fee per pet, which is collected at the time of your appointment. Cash and card are accepted forms of payment.
Schedule a Surrender Appointment
If you are ready to schedule an appointment to surrender your pet to MCACC, here is some information to help you with the online process.
- You may receive a phone call from MCACC staff within 48 hours of your appointment if additional information is needed.
- If you are surrendering multiple pets, you will need to schedule an appointment for each pet.
- When you arrive for your appointment, be sure to have your ID, important pet-related documents (such as vaccination records), and a form of payment ready.
Reminder: MCACC does not accept surrendered pets without a scheduled appointment.
For additional questions or more information, call 602-506-7387.