Adopt a Pet
Adoptions are currently offered by-appointment only at our West Shelter.
Here’s how the adoption process works:
- Get your appointment here: https://mcaccappointments.as.me/adopt (availability often changes)
- Meet the pet of your dreams!
- Complete the adoption paperwork.
- Go home with your new best friend!
Make the most of your appointment - follow these steps in advance:
- Check out our available pets online. Our population changes every few minutes, so for best results, check the website an hour before your appointment to view current animal availability.
- Write down the A# for the animal(s) you want to meet. To maximize our life saving efforts and ensure animals spend as little time as possible at the shelter, we cannot hold any pets for your appointment time.
- Review our additional adoption information and options below. There are several ways to bring a shelter pet into your family and these resources will help you to find your perfect fit.
*Masks are required on shelter property for the safety of our staff, volunteers, and visitors.
View More Information Including Additional Adoption Programs Below!
Puppy and Dog Adoptions
- Less than 5 months of age and younger: $300
- Five months of age and older and less than 30 pounds: $75 - $200
- Five months of age and older and 30 pounds or more: $50 - $150
- Shelter Super Heroes: Up to $300
Kitten and Cat Adoptions
- Less than 5 months of age and younger: $150
- Five months of age up to two years old: $75
- Two years old to six years old: $50
- Senior cats (older than six years): $25
Please check with the shelter for any additional adoption specials!
Please use MCACC's Adoptable Pets Web Page with Search and PDF Functions to look for your new furry best friend! This website automatically updates as our animal population changes throughout the day so the shelter pets you are looking at right now may not be available by the time of your appointment.
Along with your new ’fur-ever’ friend, dogs in our shelter are given:
- 4-in-1 vaccination (distemper, hepatitis, parvo virus, and parinfluenza)
- Bordatella vaccination
- flea/tick treatment
- Adopted dogs ages 3 months of age and older also receive a rabies vaccination and County dog license/tag as part of their adoption fee.
- All animals adopted from us also must be spayed or neutered prior to leaving the shelter. If you adopt a cat/dog that has not yet been altered, it may need to stay an extra day or two for surgery.
Cats receive a 3-in-1 vaccination (feline distemper, rhinotracheitis, and calicivirus). Maricopa County does not require cats to be rabies vaccinated or licensed.
Some pets on a legal stray hold (generally 72 hours) are eligible for a FAST PASS Adoption!
What is the FAST PASS Adoption program?
- The FAST PASS Adoption program allows potential adopters the chance to reserve a dog or cat while still on a legally mandated hold.
Why are we offering this program?
- This option is a way to expedite adoptions, reduce length of stay, and better serve you. It also helps to ensure we will have life-saving space available for animals in need while maintaining a healthy number of animals within our Capacity for Care.
How does it work?
- Most healthy, friendly animals are available for FAST PASS. All FAST PASS adoptions must be completed in person at the shelter; no phone or email holds will be accepted. The adoption fees for FAST PASS pets are generally $300, with some exceptions.
- You will have an opportunity to do a Meet & Greet with the pet however no dog introductions will be allowed for any FAST PASS candidate while under the legal hold period.
- Effective July 13, 2020, anyone may FAST PASS an animal on stray hold by remitting a $50 non-refundable deposit.
- If the animal is not claimed during the stray hold, the potential adopter who had placed the deposit must pay the balance of the adoption fees (and surgery will be scheduled, if appropriate).
- If the animal is claimed by the owner, there will be no refund or credit of the $50 non-refundable deposit.
- For more information, review the revised FAST PASS information sheet.
- Note: There is a chance that the selected pet may still be claimed by the original owner within the holding period. FAST PASS pets may not receive a full medical or behavioral evaluation prior to the end of the legal hold.
We have recently expanded our veteran discount adoption program to include our valued first responders!
Effective September 7, 2020, in recognition and appreciation of U.S. veterans’ and first responders, MCACC will launch the "Pets for Heroes" Program. With this revised program, adoption fees are waived for most adult dogs and cats for veterans and first responders to take home their new best friends!
How does it work?
- Adopters participating in this program are responsible for only paying the $22 license fee, while the adoption fee is waived for all dogs and cats 5 months of age and older.
- All other animals, including puppies and kittens (younger than 5 months of age), Shelter Super Heroes and other premium-priced pets, are available for adoption through this program at 50 percent off their current adoption price.
- Adopters participating in this program are also eligible to adopt through our Fast Pass Adoptions for 50 percent off the current adoption price, not including the $50 non-refundable deposit.
What verification is needed?
Veterans and first responders wishing to participate in this program are asked to provide proof of service or employment at time of adoption, including:
- Military Service
- Employment with local fire or police department
- RN or MD