Adopt a Pet
Join us for the August Clear the Shelters Event!
All adult dogs (excluding puppies, Shelter Super Heroes, and FAST PASS) are just $25 (license included) and all adult cats (excluding kittens) are FREE from 8/1 - 8/31!
Make an adoption appointment today!
APPOINTMENT-ONLY ADOPTIONS EFFECTIVE MARCH 23, 2020.
In order to further protect the health and safety of our staff, volunteers, and visitors while still trying to find forever homes for the dogs and cats in our care, we have had to modify the way we offer adoption services. Due to the highly contagious nature of COVID-19, we have instituted an appointment-only adoption system starting on Monday, March 23, 2020. Adoptions are currently only offered at our West Shelter location.
Here’s how it works:
- You must sign up at https://mcaccappointments.as.me/adopt
- Get paired with an Adoption Counselor at your appointment time *
- Meet the pet of your dreams
- Complete the adoption paperwork
- Go home with your new best friend!
PLEASE NOTE: Please check the sign-up link often as availability changes throughout the day. Be aware that the pet you are interested in may not be available at the time of your appointment. Check our website frequently for updates, but please know that the shelter population changes every few minutes.Thank you for your patience and understanding.
*We encourage shelter visitors to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, including face masks and gloves, to help keep everyone safe. If you do not have a pre-scheduled appointment, you may experience extended wait times as we prioritize those with scheduled appointments.
Please browse adoptable pets by clicking on the "Maricopa County Animal Care and Control - Search for pets "needing a home" tab below and write down their ID numbers (A number). Please note there may still be extended wait times while we all work hard together to ensure the safety of all staff, volunteers, visitors, and the animals in our care while we try to find each dog or cat their new forever home.
NEW Adoptable Pets Web Page with Search and PDF Functions!
Our new adoptable pets web page is a work-in-progress and will continue to receive updates; you may need to frequently refresh the page if you are experiencing difficulties.
How to use our new adoptable pets web page:
You can search page by page through our adoptable pets to find your perfect match or you can use the search functionality by using any or all of the filters to refine your search:
- Any Type - select dog or cat
- Any Age - select preferred age range
- Any Gender - select male or female
- Any Size - select preferred size
- Any Breed - select preferred breed type
- By Animal ID/Name - search by specific animal ID or name
Once you have selected the pet(s) you are interested in, click on their pictures for more detailed information including the "Download PDF" button to save or print the notes on that dog or cat.
Get started finding your new best friend by clicking on the banner below:
View More Information Including Additional Adoption Programs Below!
PLEASE NOTE: During the COVID-19 pandemic, you may not by-pass the appointment-only process. Thank you for your understanding.
- What's Included in the Adoption?
- What's the Cost to Adopt?
- FAST PASS Adoption Program
- Pets and Vets Adoption Program
Along with your new ’fur-ever’ friend, dogs in our shelter are given:
- 4-in-1 vaccination (distemper, hepatitis, parvo virus, and parinfluenza)
- Bordatella vaccination
- flea/tick treatment
- Adopted dogs ages 3 months of age and older also receive a rabies vaccination and County dog license/tag as part of their adoption fee.
- All animals adopted from us also must be spayed or neutered prior to leaving the shelter. If you adopt a cat/dog that has not yet been altered, it may need to stay an extra day or two for surgery.
Cats receive a 3-in-1 vaccination (feline distemper, rhinotracheitis, and calicivirus). Maricopa County does not require cats to be rabies vaccinated or licensed.
Puppy and Dog Adoptions
- Less than 5 months of age and younger: $300
- Five months of age and older and 20 pounds or more: $50 - $150
- Five months of age and older and less than 20 pounds: $75 - $200
- Six years of age and older: $25 - $75
- Shelter Super Heroes: Up to $300
Kitten and Cat Adoptions
- Less than 5 months of age and younger: $75 - $150
- Five months of age up to 6 years old: $25 - $75
- Senior cats (7 years and older): $25
Please check with the shelter for any additional adoption specials!
Some pets on a legal stray hold (generally 72 hours) are eligible for a FAST PASS Adoption!
What is the FAST PASS Adoption program?
- The FAST PASS Adoption program allows potential adopters the chance to reserve a dog or cat while still on a legally mandated hold.
Why are we offering this program?
- This option is a way to expedite adoptions, reduce length of stay, and better serve you. It also helps to ensure we will have life-saving space available for animals in need while maintaining a healthy number of animals within our Capacity for Care.
How does it work?
- Most healthy, friendly animals are available for FAST PASS. All FAST PASS adoptions must be completed in person at the shelter; no phone or email holds will be accepted. The adoption fees for FAST PASS pets are generally $300, with some exceptions.
- You will have an opportunity to do a Meet & Greet with the pet however no dog introductions will be allowed for any FAST PASS candidate while under the legal hold period.
- Effective July 13, 2020, anyone may FAST PASS an animal on stray hold by remitting a $50 non-refundable deposit.
- If the animal is not claimed during the stray hold, the potential adopter who had placed the deposit must pay the balance of the adoption fees (and surgery will be scheduled, if appropriate).
- If the animal is claimed by the owner, there will be no refund or credit of the $50 non-refundable deposit.
- For more information, review the revised FAST PASS information sheet.
- Note: There is a chance that the selected pet may still be claimed by the original owner within the holding period. FAST PASS pets may not receive a full medical or behavioral evaluation prior to the end of the legal hold.
In recognition and appreciation of U.S. veterans’ service to our country, MCACC’s "Pets and Vets" program waives adoption fees for select adult dogs and cats by veterans.
How does it work?
- Adopters participating in the program are responsible for only paying the $22 license fee, while the adoption fee is waived for all dogs and cats 5 years of age and older.
- All other animals, including puppies (5 months of age or less), kittens (5 months of age or less), Shelter Super Heroes and other premium-priced pets also are available for veterans in this program at 50 percent off their current adoption price.
- Limit one discount in the program per veteran every eight years.
What verification is needed?
Veterans wishing to participate in the program are asked to provide verification of veteran, reservist or active duty status. We will accept the following verification documents:
- Military ID
- DD214 Military Discharge Certificate
- Honorable Discharge Certificate
- Letter for the U.S. Military Center in St. Louis or Letter from the Maryland Veterans Administration Service Program