View Regulatory Changes (PDF) for important information.
There are several types of Minor Permits each with a different level of review.
These permits are fully automated, online permits.
- Water Heater - as of March 28, 2012 permits are no longer required to replace an existing water heater provided the work is done in accordance with manufacturer's specifications. However, if you wish to have Maricopa County inspect the work you may apply for a permit.
- Solar Water Heater with Ground Mounted Tank
- Irrigation/Lawn Sprinkler System
- Gas Clearance - No Work Performed
- Plumbing Repair - Like for Like
- Equipment, Water, Sewer, or Gas Line
- Mechanical Repair/Replace Like for Like
- A/C, Evaporative Cooler, HVAC
Staff processes these permits in 1 to 2 business days and all correspondence is conducted via email.
- Electrical Clearance Only - 200 Amps or Less
- Electrical Upgrade - 0 to 200 Amps
- Electrical Repair/Replace Like for Like
- Panel of 200 Amps or Less, Outlets, Fixtures
- Plumbing - New Gas Line
- BBQ, Fireplace, Pit, Wok, Kiva, Pool/Spa Heater
- Propane - Less than 250 gallon Propane Tank
- Mechanical - New/Upgrade Ground Mounted Unit
- A/C, Evaporative Cooler, HVAC
Technical / Standard Review:
A site plan is required and these permits are subject to standard review times.
- Electrical Upgrade / Service over 200 Amps
- Electric Service to a Shared Well
- Propane Tanks equal to or larger than 250 gallons
- Fountain / Water Feature
- Photovoltaic System - roof mounted
- Roof-Mounted A/C, Evaporated Cooler, HVAC
- Commercial projects are not accepted online at this time.
- If the property has expired permits, unpermitted structures, open violations or other unresolved concerns, projects will not be accepted via the online process.
- Electrical Service to vacant land, Travel Trailers, or RV's will not be approved per the Maricopa County Zoning Ordinance.
When you are ready to submit, visit the Online Permit Manager.
Request the Inspection - Methods
1. Schedule the inspection online by selecting the Quick Link above.
2. Schedule by telephone, call 602-506-3692.
Special or Compliance Inspections
If you are requesting a Special or Compliance Inspection from the Department, you must first apply for this service. More information can be obtained under Permitting Services Special or Compliance Inspection.
For the convenience of our customers, we have developed a portal through which plan review comments for any Building permit may be accessed. Given that there are often multiple parties involved with a project, these comments can be accessed by all who have the Building Tracking number, not just the primary contact on the permit.
We hope this feature will enable communication between parties to facilitate project success.
Additionally, this portal retains all comments sent for each project as well as providing a glimpse of the current comment document in DRAFT form.
Plan Review Comments that are in DRAFT form are SUBJECT TO CHANGE prior to release. DRAFT Review Comments are not accepted for resubmittal purposes.
DRAFT Comment Portal
Online Permit Manager
Access our Online Permit Manager. We are available 24 hours a day to:
- Apply for a building permit
- Manage and monitor your construction project
- Schedule an inspection
- Search Planning cases and check the status of Planning cases
- Search Code Violations and check the status of Code Violations
- Submit plans online in PDF format
- Remit payment
- Submit a Public Records Request
- Search Public Records Requests
Construction Permit Requests
Online permit requests are available for many construction projects:
- New Single Family Residences - with or without basement, custom or production home
- Residential Accessory - detached garage, mare motel, casita, Ramada, etc.
- Residential Addition - patio enclosure, patio cover, room addition
- Residential Alteration - interior remodel, carport enclosure
- House placement (Multi-Section or Manufactured Home)
- Minor residential electrical, plumbing, and mechanical - see options under the Minor Permits tab above.
- Residential Demolition
Assistance / Customer Service
Need assistance? Please call us at 602-506-3301 or email Customer Service.